[Diary of a Vengeance Foretold] Part 174

DECEMBER 23 1988

“The PFLP-GC has returned to conducting terrorist attacks outside the Middle East. This trend began in August 1987 with an attack on a train in West Germany which the terrorists apparently believed was a duty train. In December 1988, Jibril conducted his first major international terrorist act since 1969, the bombing of Pan Am 103. At the same time, Jibril has maintained his militia force, supported Syrian military initiatives in Lebanon, and attacked Israel targets in Israel and Lebanon”

DIA Document declassified

Ahmed Jibril

Ahmed Jibril

US intelligence agencies know that, a couple of days after the downing of Iran Flight 665, Ahmed Jibril contacted Hussein Niknam to offer his services to Tehran regarding a vengeance operation against US assets in Europe.

Mohammad Hussein Niknam

Mohammad Hussein Niknam

Niknam was the Iranian charge d’affaires at the Iranian embassy in Beirut. Representatives of Iran Revolutionary Guards were ordered to act as liaison between Tehran officials and Ahmed Jibril.

A DIA memo asserts that:

“The operation was contracted to Ahmad Jibril for $1 million.”

The remainder was to be paid after successful completion of the mission. The operation was codenamed INTEKAM, which means just vengeance.

On Dec 23 1988, just two days after the downing of Pan Am 103, Israeli intelligence intercepted a phone call from Mohtashemi-Pur, the Interior Ministry in Teheran, to Hussein Niknam.

Ali Akbar Mohtashami-Pur

Ali Akbar Mohtashami-Pur

During the conversation, Niknam was congratulated for the “successful operation” and was told to hand over to the PFLP-GC the remaining funds.

The transaction – US$ 10 millions — is evidenced by a credit to a bank in Lausanne, Switzerland, and that the payment was moved from there to another PFLP-GC account at the Banque Nationale de Paris, and thence to the Hungarian development bank.

A NSA report, written during the 1991 Persian Gulf War, states:

“Mohtashemi is closely connected with the Al Abas and Abu Nidal terrorist groups. He has recently paid 10 million dollars in cash and gold to these two organizations to carry out terrorist activities and was the one who paid the same amount to bomb Pan Am flight 103 in retaliation for the US shoot-down of the Iranian airbus.”

In a phone interview conducted in French earlier this year (2008), former Iran President Abolhassan Bani-Sadr told me that in the aftermath of the Lockerbie tragedy Mohtashemi-Pur had claimed that he had personally ordered the bombing of Pan Am 103.


When Dalkamoni was arrested on Nov. 26 during Operation Autumn Leaves, the Paris account number was found in his possession. Interestingly, Dalkamoni was in possession of a genuine, yet special, Syrian passport which clearly indicates the involvement of Damascus.



In the aftermath of the bombing of Pan Am 103, Jibril had a champagne party during which he proudly declared:

“The Americans will never find out how I did it.”

In a meeting held in Tehran in May 89, Jibril proudly acknowledged to leaders of various Middle East Terrorism organizations that his group was responsible for the bombing of Pan Am 103.

Abu Talb received half a US million dollars. Talb was officially honored by the government of Iran. The citation praises him for the greatest attack ever conducted against the west.

Abu Talb

Abu Talb

The US $500,000 was transferred on April 25 1989 to the Degussa bank of Frankfurt and deposited on the account of Talb. In his agenda, Talb had circled the date of the Lockerbie bombing. In his apartment, police found clothes bought in Malta.

Back from his trip to Cyprus — where he met Dalkamoni — in early October, Talb shaved his head and renamed himself Abu Intekam. When asked if he considered himself a terrorist, Talb replied:

“If killing for the Palestinian cause is terrorism, I am the greatest terrorist of all.”

Like Abu Talb, Dalkamoni and his accomplice Abdel Ghadanfar were never charged for conspiracy to bomb airliners in spite of overwhelming evidence against them.

They were convicted for the bombing of two trains in Germany. Dalkamoni and Ghadanfar were sentenced to 14 and 12 years in jail. Neither served their sentences. Tehran secretly negotiated their release from Germany. Both returned to Syria after serving just a few months in prison.

CIA asset Marwan Khreesat was never charged for building bombs in Frankfurt during October. Nor was he ever indicted for the murder of a German officer who attempted to disable one of them.



Abu Elias was never arrested. (Elias is rumored to live in the Washington DC area.) The Heathrow break-in on the eve of the Lockerbie bombing was never investigated.



On Jan 11 2008, Dr Jim Swire told me what he suspects happened to Pan Am 103.

“I never doubted who ordered the bombing, why they did it and who supplied the technology.”

No one, in good faith, could.

                                              The End

Posted in Abu Talb, Bani Sadr, dalkamoni, Dr Swire, Iran, Jibril, Khreesat, Lockerbie, USS Vincennes | 1 Comment


[Diary of a Vengeance Foretold] Part 173

DECEMBER 22 1988

“I need not go into the rest of the story and the explosion, except to say that some of us believe that, within hours, the Americans had guessed, at a very high level, what had gone wrong. It is a matter of fact that the American helicopters were on site within an hour and 25 minutes. It began back in December 1988, New Year’s Eve to be precise, when a police officer, a constituent and friend, came to me and said that he was very worried about so many Americans, on the awful site of Lockerbie, searching and rummaging through the wreckage, and possibly destroying important evidence.” Tam Dalyell [1]


Claim of Responsability

According to a CIA analysis dated Dec. 1988, a male caller claimed that a group called the Guardians of the Islamic Revolution had destroyed the plane in retaliation for the U.S. shootdown of an Iranian passenger airliner the previous July. [2]

“We consider the claims from the Guardians of the Islamic Revolution as the most credible one received so far,” the analysis concluded.

Yet, in a matter of days, US intelligence came to the conclusion that the group was not involved in the tragedy.

“A consensus is emerging among American intelligence officials that the pro-Iranian group that claimed responsibility for the Pan American World Airways crash last week probably had no involvement,” the New York Times stated.

”The feeling now is that they weren’t involved in the blast, and we’re focusing attention on other groups,” said an Administration official. [3]

The officials explained that the ”Guardians of the Islamic Revolution” was not known to have been previously involved in an attack on a commercial airliner. Moreover, the group was not believed to be ”conversant with sophisticated bombing techniques.”

The Guardians of the Islamic Revolution claimed responsibility for the killing in May 1988 of a German banker believed to be involved in the Iraqi Scuds program. [4]

According to a DIA declassified document, the organization is “related to the Iran Revolutionary Guards.”

In fact, according to an Iranian source, the two names are identical. If you translate the Farsi name of the Revolutionary Guards Corps word by word into English, this is the result: ‘Pasdaran-e Enghiab-e Islami’ which means ‘Guardians of Islamic Revolution’.

In English-speaking media, they are called Revolutionary Guards Corps. But ‘Guardians of Islamic Revolution’ is a more accurate and closer to the original Farsi name of this army.

CIA on the Crime Scene

On 28 June 2007, the Scottish Criminal Cases Review Commission referred the case of Abdelbaset Ali Mohmed Al Megrahi to the High Court of Justiciary.

As a result of the Commission’s decision the applicant was entitled to a further appeal against his conviction for the murder of 270 people who died following the bombing of Pam Am flight 103 over Lockerbie, Scotland on 21 December 1988.

However the SCCRC found no evidence that the CIA was active at the crime scene soon after the crash of Pan Am 103.

“The Commission also investigated claims that a former police officer who was involved in searches of the area around Lockerbie after the crash had found a “CIA badge” but had been told by colleagues that such items were not to be recorded as evidence. As part of its enquiries into this allegation the Commission interviewed the officer concerned. It also took statements from another officer who it was alleged had been present when the badge was found, and from the senior investigating officer at the time. Both of these witnesses disputed the officer’s claims and the Commission’s other enquiries established nothing that might support the claims. Accordingly the Commission was not prepared to accept the officer’s allegations. “

Richard Marquise, the FBI agent who led the investigation, also forcefully denied any involvement of the CIA at Lockerbie. [5]

“You said the CIA and FBI took control of the crash site on the first night after the crash. Clearly you have no understanding of how our bureaucracies worked as it would have been impossible to have done so as the crash happened at just after 7pm. This allegation was made many times and NO ONE was ever able to substantiate those allegations – EVER,” Marquise recently wrote regarding a post on Pr Black website.

In the third day of the Lockerbie trial at Camp Zeist, Chief Inspector Alexander McLean admitted that CIA agents had been involved in the recovery of items on the crime scene.

Q And I infer from your answer that you are aware that items were being recovered from the site by members of the Central Intelligence Agency.

A I understand at one point there may have been, Sir, yes. It was a necessity for a liaison officer such myself to be appointed, to ensure that the procedures, as far as the production in the criminal inquiry, were carried out to this extent.

Q It would be unusual, in the course of most criminal inquiries, to find members of a foreign intelligence agency recovering evidence at the site, would it not?

A Well, yes, it would be, Sir, yes. It would not be allowed, particularly. It would be under the control of the Scottish police.

Q Do I take it this was not something that you had encountered in the past?

A I had not personally encountered this.

Suppression of Evidence

The SCCRC found no evidence that evidence had been taken away from the crime.

“It was also alleged in the submissions that items found at the scene of the crash had been “spirited away” and that there had been “unofficial CIA involvement” in the recovery and examination of these. One such item was a suitcase belonging to one of the passengers on PA103, Major Charles McKee. Despite extensive enquiries the Commission found no evidence to suggest that anyone other than Scottish police officers came into contact with Major McKee’s suitcase at the scene of the crash. The Commission also found no evidence to support the allegation that a hole had been cut in Major McKee’s suitcase in order to gain access to its contents.”

But it is in fact indisputable that one of McKee two luggages was tampered by a third party.

The suitcase was found on Dec 30 and not entered in the system before January 5. The suitcase was examined by RARDE scientist Dr Hayes on Jan. 16 1989.

During cross examination by Fimah lawyer Keen, Dr Hayes admitted that the inside of the suitcase could not have been the original content.

Q    Was it disclosed to you that Charles McKee referred to there was in the service of the United States government?

A    No, it wasn’t.

Q    Or that this case had been returning from Beirut?

A    No.

Q    I see.  You then make this entry: “Contents:  Assorted clothing with unlike the suitcase from which it was supposedly taken showed little evidence of explosives involvement.”

A    Yes, I did.

Q    Now, I see the use of the word “supposedly” employed by you, Dr. Hayes.  And I take it you chose that word with care?

A    Yes, I did.

Q    And was that intended to convey that in your own mind the assorted clothing which had been passed to you labelled as the contents did not appear on the face of it to represent the contents of the suitcase which had been damaged in the way already described?

A    Yes, that’s certainly one interpretation.

Dr Hayes also conceded that the rectangular hole cut next to to locking mechanism could not have resulted from the blast of the explosion.

Q    A rectangular hole has been cut in the top of the case, and that cannot be attributed in any form to blast damage or impact damage in the disaster, can it?

A    No, it cannot.

The Mysterious Coffin

“Weird and inexplicable happenings haunted the Lockerbie disaster on the very night the plane went down,” wrote Paul Foot and John Ashton in their 1995 piece, Investigation into Lockerbie.

According to Emerson and Duffy, within hours of the crash, Oliver Revell, the head of FBI Counter-Terrorism, dispatched SAA Thomas Thurman to Lockerbie.

Moreover, Inspector George Stobbbs, of the local police force, stated that an FBI agent had set up a desk at the Emergency Response Center, the Lockerbie Academy, around midnight.

During the afternoon of Dec. 22, a crew from Border Television filmed the arrival of a large number of plain-clothed Americans agents bringing a single coffin to the crime scene. They American became very nervous and asked the crew to stop filming at once. But the police had granted him authorization and he continued. The pictures were broadcasted that evening.

The strange story of Dr Fieldhouse

Back in 1988, Dr. David Fieldhouse was a police surgeon from Bradford, Yorkshire. On Dec. 21, Fieldhouse heard about the crash of Pan Am 103 on “News at Ten.” He immediately phoned the Lockerbie police station to volunteer his help and experience, which the Lockerbie Police eagerly accepted.

Minutes later, Fieldhouse was driving on the highway to Scotland and arrived to Lockerbie shortly before midnight. There, he reported to the police station. After having received his instructions, he was sent out with a police officer to find bodies and certify them dead.

“My work began after briefings and involved several square miles of the crash scene over a period of about 16 hours — ending, as I recall, at about 1600 hours on 22nd December 1988. “During those hours of the search for and confirmation of death in the case of many bodies, I was accompanied by one or more police officers at all times. We occasionally met others both during the night and the ensuing day,” Fieldhouse told me.

Fieldhouse was working to the east and southeast of Lockerbie between Middlebie and Tundergarth, which happens to be the earliest place where the bodies fell from the plane.

When he reported to the police station that evening, he had certified 58 bodies dead and labeled them accordingly from DCF 1 to DCF 58.

“I saw 58 bodies during that period of the search. Fifty-five of them were to the Northwest of a road that runs from Middlebie to Bankshill and only three were to the Southeast of that road.”

“I confirmed death in the case of many bodies including one that I afterwards learned was that of McKee [an American intelligence operative returning from Lebanon]. At the time I saw the bodies I made brief notes which included, in some cases, a note of any clothing remaining on them and in every case, the sex and any major injuries visible, such as decapitation or loss of a limb,” he said.


For several weeks after the explosion, Fieldhouse traveled on one day per week to Lockerbie to work on the computers installed at the temporary headquarters of the team at the Academy, a School in Lockerbie, in order to help the police identify the bodies and where they had been found. On each of those occasions, Fieldhouse was officially signed, or logged, in on arrival and logged out on departure.

“I always had a police officer, not always the same one, to assist me in the work. The aim was to work out the identities of the bodies I had certified as dead at the scene of the crash during the night of 21st and the daylight hours of 22nd December 1988 by looking through all the information available at the time such as statements, post mortem notes, other reports,” Fieldhouse explained to me.

Fieldhouse was told that information was made available on a “need to know” basis only. It is thus likely that so some was probably withheld from him. He was told that the computers were linked to Washington.

“My identification was limited to correlating the bodies I had certified as being dead with those logged by the police. My sole aim in doing so was to enable me to write an accurate report of which persons I had pronounced deceased and at roughly what times I had done so,” he said.

Reputation Tarnished

Nearly two years later, during the Fatal Accident Inquiry (FAI) into the Lockerbie disaster, Fieldhouse was unjustifiably tarnished by a police officer in official sworn evidence.

Led by Lord Fraser of Carmyllie, the Scottish Lord Advocate, Sgt. David Johnston of the Strathclyde police started his evidence about Fieldhouse as follows.

“On the evening of the disaster, and in the early hours of the following day, Fieldhouse went out and examined a number of victims on his own, pronouncing life extinct, and attached on them his own form of identification. This was not known to us until some considerable time later,” Johnston said.

The Lord Advocate continued with a series of similar questions that were all intended to destroy the credibility of Fieldhouse. After asking about the discovery of the body of American businessman Tom Ammerman, Fraser went as far as suggesting that Fieldhouse was not a medical doctor.

“Would this be another example of or Mr. Fieldhouse carrying out a search on his own,” the Lord Advocate asked.

“It would, my Lord,” Johnston said.

“And marking the body of a person who is dead without notifying the police?”

“That is correct.”

False Accusations

In fact, Fieldhouse was accompanied throughout by police officers, three of whom he has named. Ammerman’s body had been found by Fieldhouse and an accompanying police officer. Both men agreed on the report.

On Jan. 22, 1991, Fieldhouse appeared at the inquiry. He had no difficulty to swiftly dispose of all the false allegations that had been tossed against him.

“I would record my thanks to Fieldhouse and my apologies for the undeserved criticism of his activities,” concluded Sheriff Mowat, who was in charge of the inquiry.

‘I Labeled One Body DCF 49’

“I was accompanied by three Police Officers at about 1500 hours GMT on 22nd December 1988,” stated Fieldhouse. “One of them made notes for me as I dictated what I wished to be recorded. There were several bodies in a few fields near a monument south of Tundergarth church, near to Lockerbie town.

“I labeled one body DCF 49 and recorded: Heavy adult male, multi-colored T-shirt, blue jeans, field going northwest from monument.

“I knew that the identification of McKee was absolutely correct because of the clothing which correlated closely with the other reports and statements, and the computers that were linked up to Washington,” he concluded.

In a letter to me, former FBI agent R. Marquise, who led the Lockerbie investigation, wrote:

“I would like to know about the statement attributed to Fieldhouse where he spoke of the clothing worn by McKee based on reports and statements and the computers that were linked up to Washington. Please we are talking about FBI computers I assume and we did not have any then. Before we ever had any infrastructure in place, I would imagine that McKee was identified.”

Field house explained:

“The quote is very slightly incorrect and should have read: reports and statements on the computers that were linked to Washington. I noted this at the time of reading the FAI report, but did not make any comment as I did not think that it was relevant, though the sense is slightly altered by the correct version of what (I think) I said.”

All Codes Erased

In the early weeks of 1989, Fieldhouse studied the records held on the computers in the Academy (Investigation Headquarters) at Lockerbie.

He noted that none of the codes (DCF 1 to 58) he had given to bodies was recorded on the computers. He was amazed that all except two of his labels had all been thrown away and replaced with others. “This was astounding to me,” Fieldhouse said.

Fieldhouse claims that the computer record, which seemed to match his notes relating to DCF 49, gave the mortuary body number as 225 and although he did not recall and did not note the description of the clothing on the computer file, it would certainly have correlated with his findings sufficiently for him to be confident that he had correctly “married them up.”

Body Coded DCF 12

Fieldhouse told me a very disturbing story. He is adamant that no body on the computer files matched the location of the one that he recorded as “DCF 12.” He is almost certain of this because the body was found at a very particular location. DCF 12 was one of the three bodies southeast of the road that runs from Middlebie to Bankshill.

“I saw 58 bodies during that period of the search,” Fieldhouse told me.

“Fifty-five of them were to the north of a road and only three were to the south of that road. DCF 12 was one of the three bodies south of the road. I was as confident as I could have been that I had not made any errors, but I do accept it is possible that I misunderstood the location of the body when trying to pinpoint its position on a map and trying to provide a map reference number. “However, if the police had recorded my codes (DCF 1 to DCF 58) on the computer records which they were compiling, there would have been no difficulty in marrying up the bodies which I had seen and the ones which they had recovered.

“When the bodies were being examined by the pathologist, all notable characteristics such as sex, fractures, clothing were noted, but apparently not my labels. It seems inconceivable that 58 consecutive numbered codes on 58 bodies could be disregarded. Clearly it would have been obvious to the most ignorant observer that they served a purpose and that, in any event, it would have been better to record the details in case they had a usefulness not then apparent to the person recording the details in the mortuary.

“You could not, for example get any results for a ‘search and find’ instruction given to the computer for ‘DCF 12,’ whereas it was easy enough to get results in the search for a ‘black face’. It does make one wonder why they ignored, for official purposes at least, all my reference codes and labels and this gives rise to suspicions that there was an ulterior motive on their part.”

The Aftermath

Nearly two years later, in December 1993, Fieldhouse gave an interview for a film about Lockerbie, the “Maltese Double Cross,” in which he narrates some of the events discussed in this article.

A few days after the interview, Fieldhouse was summoned to a meeting with two senior West Yorkshire police officers at Wakefield. Without explanation, he was sacked as police surgeon with a three-month notice.

“In my wildest dreams, I did not realize that I was to set a ball rolling which resulted in the ensuing lies by the police to the Fatal Accident Inquiry about what I had done or about the apparent missing body — DCF 12,” Fieldhouse wrote to me.

A Final Puzzle

The day before the Lockerbie bombing McKee called his mother.

“Meet me at the Pittsburgh airport tomorrow night,” McKee told his mother.

“This was the first time Chuck ever telephoned me from Beirut,” McKee’s mother said.

“I was flabbergasted. It’s a surprise. Always before he would wait until he was back in Virginia to call and say he was coming home.”

McKee’s mother says she is sure her son’s sudden decision to fly home was not known to his superiors in Virginia.

If indeed McKee was returning unannounced, one is left wondering how the computers in Washington had information concerning the clothes he was wearing on Dec. 21.


 (1) Tam Dalyell, 1997: ‘Nothing has been done.’ Guardian July 23, 1997


(3) U.S. Thinks Pro-Iran Group Was Probably Not Involved – December 28, 1988

(4) Did US Illegal Weapons Sale Cause Pan Am 103 Bombing?

(5) See Part 55 — August 26, 1988, Letter from Marquise to Pr Black, point 2

Posted in Lockerbie | 1 Comment


[Diary of a Vengeance Foretold] Part 172

DECEMBER 21 1988

“When I heard about the Lockerbie bombing, I thought My God, it did happen. The warning was right.”

Rodney Wallis, Director Security for International Air Transport Association

Yesterday night (20/12/1988), someone broke in at Heathrow airport. The location of the break-in gives access to both Pan Am and Iran Airline areas.

Today, Dec. 21 1988, Pan Am 103 arrived at Heathrow airport from New York in the early afternoon. PA 103 took off at 6.25 pm. A few seconds before 7.03 pm, Pan Am103 exploded over Lockerbie.


The Fifth Device

At the trial, a German witness named Gobel explained in detail how the PFLP-GC bombs recovered at Frankfurt had been made.

Scientists at the BKA central physics laboratory in Weisbaden found that the pressure switch took about 7 minutes from take off, if in the fuselage of a 747 flying a normal passenger flight profile as 103 did that night, to switch to the ‘on’ condition.

The pressure inside a 747 fuselage is auto-regulated to about the equivalent of 8,000 ft above sea level. The baggage hold and passenger compartments are always at the same pressure as each other.

Gobel told the court that the range of timings available among the ‘ice-cube’ timers they had recovered ranged between about 35 and 45 minutes. (NB. It is essential to realise that the user has no means of altering or resetting their running time.)

Over the years, Dr Swire has acquired quite a bit of knowledge regarding the so-called “Ice Cube Timer”.

“I also know, and this partly from Gobel’s evidence and partly from my own knowledge of electronics — I have constructed several ‘ice cube’ timers myself since — that these are crude analogue devices, their performance is much affected by ambient temperature and by time since last use. Furthermore, the main component, an electrolytic capacitor, is usually only accurate to + or – 20%,” Dr Swire wrote to me last year.

According to two CIA sources, the IED that exploded on Pan Am 103 was brought from Damascus to Berlin on Syrian Airline under diplomatic protection. Former CIA operative in the Middle East Bob Baer told me that the device that exploded on Pan Am 103 is indeed the “fifth bomb”.

The fifth IED was brought by Abu Elias to Frankfurt on Oct. 22, wired by Marwan Khreesat on Oct 23 and taken out of the safe house by Dalkamoni on Oct. 24. (NB. It is not known to whom he gave it. But soon after his arrest, Abu Talb confessed that he had recovered it and passed it to a person whose identity was never revealed to the public.)

The BKA recovered one device on Oct. 26 1988. Acting on a tip, they found three others on May 1989. The BKA never recovered the fifth IED.

It is also hard to ignore the fact that the bomb exploded after 38 minutes, right in the middle of the range determined by the German Police physicists.

Denial of Evidence Fabrication

On 28 June 2007, the Scottish Criminal Cases Review Commission referred the case of Abdelbaset Ali Mohmed Al Megrahi to the High Court of Justiciary.

As a result of the Commission’s decision the applicant was entitled to a further appeal against his conviction for the murder of 270 people who died following the bombing of Pam Am flight 103 over Lockerbie, Scotland on 21 December 1988.

However the SCCRC found no evidence that the MST-13 fragment had been fabricated to implicate Libya.

“The additional submissions also sought to cast doubt on the origin of a fragment of circuit board recovered by forensic scientists which the trial court accepted had been part of the MST-13 timer that triggered the bomb. Underlying those submissions was the allegation that evidence of the timer fragment had been fabricated in order to implicate Libya in the bombing. The Commission undertook extensive enquiries in this area but found nothing to support that allegation or to undermine the trial court’s conclusions in respect of the fragment.”

The – No Longer – Mysterious MST13 Timer

From a study of an enlarged picture of the MST-13 fragment, FBI Thomas Thurman was able to identify its origin, namely a Swiss company called MEBO.

Soon, the investigators established that MEBO had supplied such timers to Libya which became afterward the only focus of the investigation. Baer told me that all leads to Jibril Damascus based organization and his sponsors in Tehran were abandoned at once after Thurman discovery.

I regard the decision as highly illogical.  Why was the investigation into the prime suspect, namely the PFLP-GC, abandoned when it is established that MEBO had supplied the STASI with the MST13 timers and that the STASI was collaborating closely with the PFLP-GC? In fact, the collaboration was so close that PFLP-GC members who needed medical care would be attended in East Berlin hospitals.

Former CIA Vince Cannistraro has stated that the STASI link could safely be dismissed as the PC board of the timers delivered to them was brown while the ones delivered to Libya had a green board. That is false. MEBO engineer U. Lumpert built both set of timers and remembers using green PC boards for both sets.

And as a matter of fact, the fragment of the timer recovered at Lockerbie could not have belonged to one of the devices sold to Libya. Indeed, a close look at the curved edge of the fragment indicates that it has been hand-made, unlike the 20 timers delivered to Libya that had been machine-made.

The Lockerbie Timer IS a Fabrication

On October 29 of this year (2008) I wrote: “In the Megrahi’s case, Dr Hayes did not even perform the basic test which would have established the presence of explosive residue on the sample.”

“During the trial, he maintained that the fragment was too small while it is factually established that his laboratory has performed such test on smaller samples.”

“Had he performed such test, no residue would have been found. As noted by MeBo engineer U. Lumpert, the fragment shown at the Zeist trial belongs to a timer that was never connected to a relay. In other words, that timer never triggered a bomb,” this writer predicted.

Earlier this week (2008), the Mail on Sunday reported that:

“New forensic analysis on a fragment of the timing device alleged to have triggered the bomb that brought down Pan Am jet 103 on December 21, 1988, is said to have found no trace of explosive residue.”

Several experts, including a top forensic expert from the US with much experience in conducting such tests, have confirmed to me that it is impossible for such fragment to have been near the centre of an explosion and not show trace of explosive residue.

The Truth Surfaces

Soon after the decision of the SCCRC was announced, Richard Marquise, the FBI agent who led the Lockerbie investigation, was quoted as saying that he was very unpleased with the Committee allegation of fabricated evidence. I thus pointed out to him that the report in fact had rejected such accusation.

Marquise told me that he had been quoted correctly but that he “had been led to believe that one of the grounds for the appeal was that evidence had been fabricated.”

I can now reveal that U. Lumpert, the engineer who designed and built the MST-13 Timer for MEBO, has told me that he did give a hand-made prototype to a Swiss Police Officer.

“I confirm today on July 18, 2007, that I stole the third hand-manufactured MST-13 timer PC-board consisting of eight layers of fiber-glass from MEBO Ltd. and gave it without permission on June 22, 1989, to a person officially investigating in the Lockerbie case,” Lumpert wrote.

I understand that the “person officially investigating in the Lockerbie case” to whom Lumpert gave the prototype is Swiss Commissioner Peter Flückiger who requested the device at the request of a “friendly intelligence agency.”

It seems that neither Fluckiger nor Lumpert knew at the time that the request was linked to the Lockerbie investigation. Lumpert told me that he was neither rewarded nor threatened. Lumpert also told me that he provided inspector Fluckiger with additional material.

Final Thoughts

“People will debate for a long time whether I did the right thing by helping Bob Woodward and Carl Bernstein,” once said W. Mark Felt — the man they called “Deep Throat.”

“The bottom line is that we did get the whole truth out, and isn’t that what the FBI is supposed to do?”

It seems safe to assert that the whole truth about Lockerbie has not been told. In fairness to the Bureau, US officials – except President Bush — never claimed that they add arrested all the culprits.

“This case is not closed. The investigation continues, it has continued since the plane went down and it will continue until every individual who we can identify who played a role in this tragedy is brought to justice,” stated US Acting Deputy Attorney General Bob Mueller on January 31, 2001.

“Did Iran contract with the PFLP-GC? Probably – although, it cannot be proven in court… and never will be unless a reliable witness or two comes forward with documentary evidence,” Richard Marquise told me earlier this year.

But not only has the truth not been told, one must also realize that contradictions regarding the case also abound. For instance V. Cannistraro — aka “The CIA Man Who Wrote the Script against Libya” — has said that the Lockerbie link to Libya was found after he left the Agency.

However, the timer is said to have been identified by Thurman in June 25 1990. According to his short biography attached to a recent letter to Sen. McCain, Cannistraro retired in January 1991.

And then some coincidences are simply beyond belief.

“It is striking to witness the similarity of the discoveries, by the FBI, of the scientific proof of the two aircraft that were sabotaged: the Pan Am Boeing 747 and the UTA DC-10.

“Among the thousands or rather tens of thousands of pieces of debris collected near the crash sites, just one PCB fragment was found in each case, which carried enough information to allow its identification: “MEBO” for the Boeing 747 and “TY” (from Taiwan) for the DC-10, wrote French investigative journalist Pierre Péan.

And to top it all, both fragments were identified by FBI Thomas Thurman and neither have traces of explosive residue.

In any case, it is very difficult to argue with Pean as experts believe that it is very unlikely in the first place that any part of a PCB could survive the several thousand degrees blast.

“In the event someone in the US or UK Government had a smoking gun and did not give it to us, I would support their prosecution–even at this stage, Marquise told me on Nov 16 2008.”

Now, that could be interesting!


Experts Say Bombing Showed Technical Skill and Resources –  December 29, 1988

Posted in Lockerbie | 1 Comment


[Diary of a Vengeance Foretold] Part 171

DECEMBER 20 1988

“Twenty-four hours before the flight, Mossad tipped off the German BKA that there could be a plan to plant a bomb on flight 103. The BKA passed on their tip to the CIA team working out of Frankfurt who said they would take care of everything.”

Joel Bannerman, publisher of an Israeli intelligence report, 1994.

Today, Dec. 20 1988, Charles McKee changed his flight ticket and was rebooked on Pan Am 103 Dec. 21. Major McKee was a senior army officer on secondment to the Defense Intelligence Agency (DIA). McKee was on assignment in Beirut trying to locate the American hostages held at that time by Hezbollah.

Matt Gannon, the CIA Beirut station Chief, is also rebooked on Pan Am 103 Dec. 21. Finally, also today, Larivierre is equally rebooked on Pan Am 103 Dec. 21.

 Khalid Jaafar called his father and told him that he would be home tomorow. Khalid told his father that he is having a good time and that his “friends” had taken him to various places.

Khaled Nazir jaafar

Khaled Nazir Jaafar

McKee called his mother and also announced his return. That would seem quite innocent if it was not for the fact that he never did that before. McKee never announced his return to his mother before his arrival in the US. His phone call from Beirut terrified her mother. From his behavior during his Thanksgiving return, she suspected that something was not quite right. Now, she knew for sure that something was very wrong.

“Meet me at the Pittsburgh airport tomorrow night,” McKee told his mother.

“This was the first time Chuck ever telephoned me from Beirut,” McKee’s mother said.

“I was flabbergasted. It’s a surprise. Always before he would wait until he was back in Virginia to call and say he was coming home.”

McKee’s mother says she is sure her son’s sudden decision to fly home was not known to his superiors in Virginia.

Tehran Is Tipped Off

 Dr Ali Nuri Zadeh was given very precise information regarding the bombing of an Am 103 form a high level cleric close to Grand Ayatolah Montazeri. (NB. It is worth pointing out that Montazeri was the person who leaked the Irangate scandal to the media.) Dr Zadeh reported the following events.

On Dec. 20 1988, an engineer employed by the Frankfurt airport authority received the green light to carry out the operation from Rasul Qassab Qarai. (NB. Qarai was the Iranian consul in Frankfurt at the time.)

According to Zadeh source, the date was chosen after the Iranian embassy in Beirut had received information to the effect that five American intelligence agents were setting out for America via Frankfurt and via Pan Am flight. (NB. It is highly unlikely that the Iranians knew of Joseph Patrick Curry. One is left wondering who the fifth US agent was. DCF 12 comes to mind…)

The report continues as follows:

“The unsuspected courier had previously travelled to Sweden and was to be used as the conduit to place the device on board. The suitcase containing the device was attached to the courier baggage after he checked in.”

“In this way, the bag would not be tracable. The courier was a Lebanese from a family of heroin producers who opposes Hizzbullah. He was tricked in thinking that he was used as a mule for a normal drug shipment for his American contacts. He had been instructed that his American handler would meet him aboard the flight.”

 The Interror Pact is formalized

On Dec. 18 1988, the Iranian embassy in Beirut hosted a conference at the Carlton Hotel titled: “International Conference in support of the Palestinian Intifadah”. The conference was hosted by Iran foreign Minister Dr. Ali Akbar Velayati.

In his concluding statement read on Dec. 20, Dr. Ali Akbar Velayati made an oblique reference to the “approaching of the ordained revenge on America for its crime against the Iranian civilian airliner.”

Puzzle piece

The most serious allegation against Megrahi, the Libyan accused of the bombing of Pan Am 103, was that Magid Giaka, a former colleague and CIA asset since mid august 1988, claimed that he had seen them on December 20 at Luqa airport bringing from Tripoli a Samsonite luggage identical to the one in which the bomb that destroyed Pan Am 103 was hidden.

However, a CIA cable reveals that during the afternoon of December 20, Giaka was reporting to his CIA handler. The cable sent on December 21 makes no mention whatsoever of this most significant event.

“The most important witness in the Lockerbie trial was systematically torn to pieces,” the New York Times reported following his testimony at camp Zeist.

In July 1991, Giaka was transported aboard the USS Butte where he was interviewed by FBI agents. When asked about the primary suitecase, Giaka answered frankly:

“I do not know anything about a suitcase.”

But months later, Giaka will say:

“Oh that suitcase! That was sometimes in September, October, maybe November or perhaps December.”

His final statement reads:

“It was on Dec. 20 that I saw the brown Samsonite suitcase carried by Fimah and Megrahi at Luqa airport.”

What prompted Giaka to experience such phase transitions across which he went from knowing nothing to be able to remember the smallest detail with the greatest accuracy? Surely, he must have had a pretty good motivation. Come to think of it, the former CIA asset received four millions of them.

Posted in Jaafar, Lockerbie | Leave a comment


[Diary of a Vengeance Foretold] Part 170

DECEMBER 19 1988

“A couple of my black ops buddies in the pentagon believe that the Pan Am bombers were gunning for McKee hostage-rescue team. But they were told to shift the focuss of their investigation because it revealed an embarrassing breakdown in security.”

Gene Weathon—Retired US military Intelligence Officer

Khalid Jaafar

Khalid Jaafar was scheduled to return to the US on the direct flight Dusseldorf to Detroit on Dec. 19. However, a “friend” of Jaafar in Dortmund changed his ticket and rebooked him on Flight Pan Am 103 Dec. 21. Meanwhile, today Dec. 19 1988, Jaafar goes to Stockholm.

A female relative said that Jaafar was driven to Kiel in Northern Germany where he caught the ferry to Gothenburg.

According to a Danish Chemical engineer who travelled with him, Jaafar took the 17:10 train from Gothenburg to Stockholm. (NB. The female relative and the Danish engineer do not know each other and could not have been aware of each other testimony.)

The relative a Khalid Jaafar claimed that he was given clothes as gift. (NB. Soon after Talb was arrested in Sweden, SAPO intercepted a phone call during which his wife told some of Talb associates to get rid of the clothes he had recently bought in Malta.  The Maltese clothes were key evidence against Megrahi at the Lockerbie trial.)

Also today, the booking of McKee made on Dec.16 at Lucas Travel in Beirut was confirmed on flight Pan Am 103 Dec. 22.

Daniel OConnor was a security officer at the US embassy in Nicosia. He was scheduled to return on Dec. 23. But on Dec. 19, his flight was brought forward by two days. He is now scheduled to retun to the US on Flight Pan 103 Dec. 21

At Hearthrow airport, security personnel are on high alert for a radio bomb similar to the one discovered by the BKA. Pictures and a dummy of the IED are being circulated. Advice has been issued on how to check radios for a hidden bomb.


According to an Intelligence officer posted in Western Europe at the time of the Pan Am 103 bombing:

“Everyone in the intelligence community knew that McKee and Gannon were returning to the US.”

It would however appear that Oliver Revell, the executive assistant director at the FBI, did not know about their return to the US.

On Dec. 25 1988, Revell stated on CBS-TV “Face the Nation” that the CIA Beirut station Chief, namely Matt Gannon, had not been aboard Pan Am 103.

Soon after the shotdown of a CIA plane supplying the Contras in Nicaragua DATE, Oliver North warned Revell regarding the possible implications of an investigation.

“An FBI investigation of Southern Air Transport could blow the lid off secret US arms shipments to Iran,” North wrote to Revell on Oct. 8 1986.

In the aftermath of the Helsinki warning, the son of Oliver Revell was rebooked off Pan Am 103.

 In 1988, Flora Swire was engaged to Hart Lidov. Both were medical students. Flora was studying in the UK while Hart was attending a university in the US.

The two very much wanted to spend Christmas together but they were told that no seat was available either way.

Then, out of the blue, Flora was told that seats were available on Pan Am 103 Dec. 21. On its ultimate journey, Pan Am 103, fully booked 48 hours earlier, counted no less than 165 empty seats.


“Who made the decision that the life of my daughter had less value than the one of others,” asks Dr Swire.

Twenty years later, the spokesperson is still awaiting answer to his question.

Post Scriptum

According to the manifest of the connecting flight from Cyprus to London, O Connor checked a single piece of luggage, a brown American Tourister suitcase. After the crash of Pan Am 103, his suitcase was recovered in a baggage room at Heathrow airport.

Posted in Lockerbie | Leave a comment


[Diary of a Vengeance Foretold] Part 169

DECEMBER 18 1988

“What did they do with the German warnings, the Helsinki warning, the radio intercepts from Beirut and the knowledge that Iran had a grievous score to settle after the USS Vincennes incident? Apparently nothing…”

Hart Lidov — The truth about Oliver Revel, Dec 21 1999



On December 18 1988, the BKA was tipped off about a bomb plot against Pan Am 103 in the next two or three days. This information, probably issued by the MOSSAD, was passed to the American Embassy in Bonn, which advised the State Department, which in turn advised its other embassies of the warning.

Flash Back

On July 3 1988, four days before the feast day of Id al-Adha, the navy cruiser USS Vincennes, also known as “Robo-cruiser” because of the extremely aggressive behavior of her Commending Officer, shot down an Iranian passenger jet over the Persian Gulf. The civilian Airliner was carrying mostly Muslims on their pilgrimage to Mecca. 290 died, most Iranians.

Official Reaction from Tehran

On July 4, Iranian officials accused the United States of ”a barbaric massacre” and promised to ”avenge the blood of their martyrs.”

A spokesperson for the Iranian Embassy in London, Mohamed Beshti, predicted an act of revenge.

“We do not disclose our response but it will be an appropriate response to the magnitude of the American Crime,” Beshti said.

At the United Nation, Mohammad Jaafar Mahallati, Iran’s Ambassador delivered a similar message.

“You will remember that for many years, Iraqi used chemical warfare against Iranians. And we never retaliated because we abide by our Islamic principles.”

“And this is a principle that we always abide by. We act upon our own Islamic principles, which to some extent covered international regulations. ”

“We will use any legitimate means to exercise our right for self-defense. And therefore, acting in self-defense, we will use all legitimate means and ways in order to punish this act of terrorism. Not merely to punish. Punish for punishment. But we will resort to punishment to prevent further occurrence or recurrence of such unfortunate incidents.”

Ali Akbar Mohtashemi-Pur swore that there should be a “rain of blood” in revenge. [NB. Former Iran President Bani-Sadr told me earlier this year that, in the immediate aftermath of the Lockerbie tragedy, Mohtashami-Pur boasted that he had contracted Ahmad Jibril, the leader of a Palestinian organization, to bomb an American airliner.]

On July 5, Teheran radio broadcasted the following message.

”The criminal United States should know that the unlawfully shed blood in the disaster will be avenged in the same blood-spattered sky over the Persian Gulf.”

Iran’s President, Hojatolislam Ali Khamenei, called President Reagan and his Administration ”criminals and murderers.”

The Iranian Foreign Minister, Ali Akbar Velayati, called the downing of the airliner an atrocity and urged Secretary General Javier Perez de Cuellar to have the United Nations condemn the United States as the perpetrator.

Iran’s Ambassador to the United Nations, Mohammad Mahallati, told US media that the atrocity had been premeditated.

US Air Force Military Airlift issued a warning to its civilian contractors.

”We believe that Iran will strike back in a tit-for-tat fashion – mass casualties for mass casualties. We believe Europe is a likely target for a retaliatory attack. This is due primarily to the large concentration of Americans and the established infrastructures in place throughout Europe.”

July 7. The US Air Force Military Airlift warning, issued on July 5, was picked up by the US State Department and was broadly distributed. The warning has been disseminated via computer bulletin board.

In West Germany, the Department of Transportation sent a message to all airlines asking them to be especially careful.

Pan Am is on high alert. ”We have reviewed and redoubled our security measures,” said Henry Auerbach, Pan Am’s regional managing director for northern Europe.

Moreover, as a result of Iran’s threats of retaliation, Pan Am has stopped its three weekly Frankfurt-to-Karachi flights, which pass over the Persian Gulf region.

On November 2, the FAA alerted the airlines with a warning, similar to one already issued by the Germans in the aftermath of the operation Autumn Leaves. The warning described the Toshiba radio-cassette bomb found in Dalkamoni’s car on Oct. 26.

November 8 — Defense Intelligence Agency Terrorism Intelligence Branch issued a “Defense intelligence Summary” [DITSUM] warning that hardline Palestinian groups will step up their terrorist activities in order to discredit Arafat initiative.

November 9. The BKA released a warning through Interpol regarding the bomb found in the Ford Cortina of Dalkamoni when he was arrested on Oct. 26. The warning was also passed on other security channels.

The warning followed a meeting at Meckeheim between the BKA and senior western security advisers. The report of the BKA forensic analysis was discussed in detail. Specifically, the BKA described the Toshiba radio, the Semtex explosive hidden inside and the barometric device.

On November 17, another FAA bulletin reiterates the danger that terrorists will attempt to smuggle a radio bomb aborard an airliner. The document described the bomb seized in the Autum Leaves Operation in details and urged all airlines to be extra vigilant.

On November 18, 1988, Pan Am was specifically advised by a FAA Security Bulletin that a Middle Eastern terrorist group had been found in Germany with a bomb concealed within a Toshiba radio designed to explode aboard airliners.

The alert called upon Pan Am to activate extra vigilance and a rigorous adherence to their regulations for baggage reconciliation. Pan Am was warned of the difficulty of relying on X-rays which would not detect such bombs.

On November 22, the British Department of Transport issued its own warning, which provided a further detailed description of the bomb built by PFLP-GC member Marwan Khreesat.

End of November — During a visit to Libya, investigative journalist David Yallop, who specializes in unsolved crimes and miscarriages of justice, interviewed Nidal. Among many revelations, Nidal told Yallop that he was under great pressure from the Syrian government to reactivate and commit an act of terror against an American airliner. Yallop wrote immediately an eight-page report about the matter and passed it to MI6, asking them to forward it to the CIA.

December 2. According to a US Intelligence document dated December 2 1988, US officials were expecting a revenge bombing for the shooting down of an Iranian airliner.

“Team of Palestinians not associated with the PLO plans to attack American targets in Europe. Targets specified are Pan Am and US military bases,” the report warned.

On December 5 1988, an anonymous caller warned the US embassy in Helsinki that a bomb attack on a US airliner was imminent.

On Dec. 7, 1988, the FAA issues a security bulletin to US embassies and airliners.Pan Am was advised that the United States Embassy in Helsinki, Finland, has just received a warning that a Pan Am flight from Frankfurt to the United States would be the target of a bomb.

The notice will become known as the “Helsinki Warning.” The security bulletin reiterated the FAA’s earlier warning of a Toshiba radio bomb. The warning emphasized the difficulty of detecting this type of bomb by X-ray.

December 8. Israeli forces captured documents related to a planned attack on a Pan Am flight out of Frankfurt later that month. This information was passed to the governments of the United States and Germany.

On Dec. 13, William Kelly, the Moscow US embassy administrative counselor, drafted a memo addressed to “All Embassy Personnel” and posted on the staff notice board.

“Post has ben notified by the FAA that on Dec. 5 1988, an unidentified individual telephoned a US diplomatic facility in Europe and stated hat sometimes during the next two weeks there would be a bombing attempt against Pan Am airliner flying from Frankfurt to the United States. The FAA report that the reliability of the information cannot be assessed at this point, but the appropriate police authorities have been notified and are pursuing the matter. Pan Am also has been notified. In view of the lack of confirmation of this information, post leaves to the discretion of individual travelers any decisions on altering personal travel plans or changing to another American carrier. This does not absolve the traveler from flying an American carrier.”

On December 18, the BKA was tipped off about a bomb plot against Pan Am 103 in the next two or three days. This information, probably issued by the MOSSAD, was passed to the American Embassy in Bonn, which advised the State Department, which in turn advised its other embassies of the warning.

On Dec. 19, John Jack, the UK Department of Transport principal aviation security adviser, wrote a general threat warning to all British airports. The notice stamped restricted was also addressed to all US airliners.

The warning described in great details the Toshiba radio bomb discovered in Germany during operation Autumn Leaves. The notice warned that other bombs may have escaped the BKA. US airlines are urged to ensure that the procedure of reconciling all passengers to their luggage is rigorously applied.

Copies of the letter were placed in Jack out-tray on Monday Dec. 19. Airline security chief received it in mid January. When the Scottish investigation team finally obtained a copy of the letter, they realize at once that it was a blueprint of the bombing of Pan Am 103 on Dec. 21. On board the airliner, there were at least 14 unaccompanied luggage, and quite possibly 15…

 On march 17 1989, Jeff Kriendler, a vice president of Pan Am, stated that the airline had stepped up security after the earlier warnings from the Federal Aviation Administration, and that it would not have made any difference if the Dec. 19 notice had arrived earlier. [1]

Elizabeth Manners, a Pan Am spokeswoman in New York, said the airline had never received the November warning from the British.


(1) Failure to Publicize Warning on terror assailed in Britain – December 17, 1988

Posted in Warning | Leave a comment


[Diary of a Vengeance Foretold] Part 168

DECEMBER 17 1988

“We will use any legitimate means to exercise our right for self-defense. And therefore, acting in self-defense, we will use all legitimate means and ways in order to punish this act of terrorism. Not merely to punish. Punish for punishment. But we will resort to punishment to prevent further occurrence or recurrence of such unfortunate incidents.”

Mohammad Jaafar Mahallati, Iran’s Ambassador at the United Nation, July 4 1988

Near the end of December 1988, the Iranian embassy in Beirut hosted a conference at the Carlton Hotel titled: International Conference in support of the Palestinian Intifadah, at the Carlton hotel. The conference was hosted by Iran foreign Minister Dr. Ali Akbar Velayati.

US intelligence agents in Beirut identified prominent faces of Middle Eastern terrorist groups such as Ahmed Jibril, Abu Musa, Abu Fadi, Ibrahim al Amin, Abu Muhammad al Najafi, Ahmad Hassan Mehna, Said Shaban and Ali Ammar.

A declassified document, obtained through the FOIA, states that:

“the concluding statement contained a subtle reference to the approaching of the ordained revenge on America for its crime against the Iranian civilian airliner.”

The concluding statement was made by Dr. Ali Akbar Velayati on Dec. 20. Less than 24 hours later, Pan Am 103 exploded over Lockerbie.

Iranian defector Abolghasem Mesbahi has said that Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini personally ordered the revenge attack and that Foreign Minister Ali Akbar Velayati had carried out the planning.


Dr. Ali Akbar Velayati (علی‌اکبر ولایتی; born June 25, 1945 in Shemiran) is an Iranian politician and a former pediatrician. He is currently an Advisor in International Affairs to the Supreme Leader.

Velayati acquired his M.D. from University of Tehran and pediatrics degrees from the Johns Hopkins University, respectively in 1971 and 1974.

Velayati served for two terms under Prime Minister Mir-Hossein Mousavi from 1981 to 1988 and then two more terms under President Hashemi Rafsanjani from 1988 to 1997. Thus velayati was the Foreign Minister of Iran for about 16 years (December 15, 1981 – August 20, 1997), making him the longest-serving Foreign Minister in Iranian history. In that position, Velayati negotiated the difficult peace agreement with Iraqi foreign minister Tareq Aziz.

After winning the presidential election on October 13, 1981, President Ali Khamenei proposed Velayati as his prime minister to the Majlis of Iran, but Majlis voted against him (74/80/38) on October 22. Khamenei later proposed Mir-Hossein Mousavi who gained Majlis’s approval.

Velayati was under consideration by the conservative alliance of Iran as a possible candidate for Iranian presidential election of 2005, but he announced that he would not accept candidacy of the conservative alliance and would run as an Independent. He finally decided not to run. It has been said that he did not want to run against Hashem Rafsanjani.

During the September 1985 meeting when the organization of the VEVAK was elaborated, Abolghasem strongly argued that the agency role should be limited to data gathering and analysis. Mesbahi opposed the plans of Ali Akbar Velayati who argued, successfully, that the VEVAK should also conduct assassinations and acts of terror abroad.

Secret US – Iran negotiations

According to official sources, in late July, the Secretary General Javier Perez de Cuellar urged Velayati to use his influence to secure the release of the American hostages held in Lebanon. Washington would appear to have pressure him to do so.

On August 1, Iranian leaders have publicly said that they would use their influence over Hizbullah if the US returns Iranian assets frozen following the Islamic revolution.

Fearful that such agreement would resurrect the memories of the Iran-Contras, the Reagan administration immediately rejected such demand. But Secretary of State Shultz announced that he was ready to meet with Velayati.

Velayati, who was then in New York to discuss the cease-fire with the UN Secretary General, rejected Shultz proposal, arguing that he had not received the authority to engage in further negotiations.

On Aug. 9, Velayati has promised that Iran top officials will use their influence to try to win the freedom of Americans held hostage in Lebanon.

In late August 1988, a meeting between US citizen Richard Lawless, rumored to represent VP Bush, and Iranian negotiators took place at Glyon, near Montreux, Switzerland. At least, two other meetings occured in September and a fourth meeting took place in early October.

The Iranian negotiators were Mohammad Javad Larijani, Mahmoud Jamali, Nasrollah Kazemi Kamyab and Abolghasem Mesbahi. All of them are quite well known senior officials and worked for the Foreign Affairs Ministry except for Mesbahi who was representing Hashemi Rafsanjani.

Larijani has been a Majlis (parliament) representative and a vice minister of foreign affairs. Trained as a mathematician under supervision of mathematical logician Robert Vaught at the University of California at Berkeley, he is currently the director of the Institute for Studies in Theoretical Physics and Mathematics in Tehran. NB. Larijani was contacted by this writer regarding the meetings but has not replied.

Jamali was director general for international conferences at the Foreign Ministry. The official nature of these talks is abundantly clear from the high-ranking level of the participants. Kamyab was Iran’s permanent representative to the United Nations Office at Geneva.

German Foreign Minister Hans-Dietrich Genscher has said that the release of hostage Rudolf Cordes had been negotiated over several months with Iranian officials and was finally obtained at a meeting on Aug. 24 with Iranian Deputy Foreign Minister Larijani.

On the Downing of Iran Flight 665

On July 5 1988, Dr Ali Akbar Velayati, called the downing of the airliner an atrocity and urged Secretary General Javier Perez de Cuellar to have the United Nations condemn the United States as the perpetrator.

On July 14, Velayati, told the U.N. Security Council that the U.S. downing of an Iran Airbus 665 by the USS Vincennes was “a barbaric massacre.”

On the same day, Velayati revealed that the information exchanged by Iran Flight 665 was standard for civil flights: headings, temperatures, altitudes and checkpoints, punctuated by the succinct politeness of airline pilots the world over. Moreover, the transcript was in English, the language pilots and controllers use worldwide for standard radio communication.

Velayati asked the United Nations Security Council to condemn the United States saying the downing “could not have been a mistake” and was a “criminal act,” an “atrocity” and a “massacre.”

On the relation of Ahmed Jibril with Velayati

Links between Ahmed Jibril led PFLP-GC and Iran began in the 80s and became closer in December 1987 when Ahmed Jibril and Ali Akbar Velayati met in Tripoli, Libya. During their meeting, Jibril conveyed to Velayati his support “for the Islamic Revolution”. Soon, the rhetoric of the PFLP-GC began to change. In May 89, Jibril declared that his organization would execute Salman Rushie in accordance with the fatwa issued by Ayatolah Khomeini.

In Sept. 88, Velayati organized a major conference in Tehran to discuss plans to escalate the conflict with Israel. Leaders of the Iranian-sponsored Hezbollah and of the Lebanese Sunni militia Tawhid, Ahmed Jibril and Abu Musa attended the meeting.

By the end of the conference, Jibril called for the establishment of a formal Palestinian – Iranian alliance. Jibril concept of an Islamic Organization for the liberation of Palestine will materialize on Dec 20 1988.

The organization aims first of all at eliminating and replacing Arafat PLO. According to a source close to Grand Ayatolah Montazeri, Jibril spoke of three goals.

Ahmed Jibril

Ahmed Jibril

Jibril stated that:

”The three aims of the PFLP-GC are: the liberation of Palestine through the elimination of PLO leader Yasser Arafat and other American collaborators; the continuation of the fight against America; and the need to remain in the shadows behind any terrorist action. ”


Posted in Lockerbie, USS Vincennes | Leave a comment